Position Title: School Age Assistant
Location: Champlain YMCA Child Care Program: Vancouver, BC
Terms: Permanent Part-Time: 15 hours/week
Shift: Monday to Friday 2:30pm — 5:30pm
(Please note that the above shift times are fixed and not flexible)
Salary: $14.89 per hour
Start Date: As soon as possible
Reports To: Team Leader, YMCA Kids Clubs
For over 125 years, we have been part of the community, a place where people of every age and background find the support they need to grow in spirit, mind and body. One of the Lower Mainland’s leading charities, the YMCA of Greater Vancouver provides services in health & fitness, child care, camping, employment & community services to over 95,000 participants annually. YMCA Child Care, Western Canada’s largest provider of licensed child care, serves over 2400 children between the ages of 6 weeks and 12 years at over 50 licensed facilities throughout the Lower Mainland.
Nature & Scope: Under the direction of the program’s Team Leader, the School Age Assistant works directly within the school age program facilitating activities for children ages 5 — 12 in a group setting.
• To interact directly with the children and encourage interaction between children
• To read, understand and follow all Provincial and YMCA requirements and standards
• To create and maintain a positive atmosphere and build positive self-esteem and confidence in children
• To assist with the planning and implementing of a consistent child-centered program in accordance with YMCA standards and YMCA Healthy Child Development principles
• To establish and maintain positive daily communication with parents
• To ensure that all safety and supervision standards are implemented and maintained according to licensing and YMCA requirements
• To maintain a neat, orderly, and clean environment, including all activity areas & washrooms
• To release children only to those authorized by parent/ guardian, to ask for identification in order to ensure that the authorized pick-up has been verified
• To maintain confidentiality of all information related to the centre, the children, their families, and staff
• To maintain regular attendance, punctuality and to be appropriately dressed and well groomed
• Current First Aid certificate required
• Diplomas, certificates or other evidence of completed courses/training, of at least 20 hours duration in child-related study (i.e. child development, guidance, health and safety, or nutrition) preferred
• Completion of Grade 12
• Experience working with children in a child care/recreational setting
• BC Class 4 Driver’s License and/or FoodSafe certification an asset
• Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Records Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding your start date
• Ability to provide 3 professional references
• Statement from a medical practitioner indicating adequate physical and psychological capability to work with children and carry out assigned duties
In addition to bringing a commitment to YMCA vision and values, and an orientation to service, the candidate should possess the following competencies:
Leadership: Motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes.
Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner.
Creativity & Innovation: Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to improve programs & service.
Team Work: The ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal results.
Product Knowledge: Thorough understanding of the components required in providing quality care.
Relationship Building & Collaboration: Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve work related goals.
Internal applicants should inform their supervisor prior to application. Please apply by completing both of the
Step 1‐ Complete online application using the following link:
Step 2‐ Complete online questionnaire using the following link:
Application deadline: February 8, 2015